The Workforce Board is putting together a demonstration project that showcases the skills of Career and Technical Education (CTE) students through a one-day competition.
Students at both the high school and college level will come together on the Capitol Campus in Olympia to demonstrate their technical skills as they build portable, energy efficient, homeless shelters.
Get social with us and help spread the word!
--Like our CTE Showcase of Skills Facebook page!
--Join us on Twitter @WorkforceWash and use #CTEShowcase
DSHS Pitches In to Furnish Homeless Shelters
Watch this video and learn how DSHS staff are collecting supplies and furnishings to fill these shelters with basic ammenities.
Bonus: Finished shelters will be transported to the North 88th Street Tiny House Village in Seattle to provide transitional homeless housing.
Where: Capitol Campus, Olympia
When: Monday, March 27, 2017
Who: This competition features teams from Washington high schools, Skill Centers, and community and technical colleges.
Schedule of Events
- Continental breakfast-7 a.m.
- Opening welcome-7:15 a.m.
- Mandatory safety meeting-7:30 a.m.
- Shelter Build on North Diagonal-8 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Judging-8 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Event Tent-11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (Lunch/Guest Speakers)
- Shelter Build on North Diagonal-12:30-3 p.m.
- Judging-12:30-3:30 p.m.
- Event Tent-3:30-4:30 p.m. (Student speakers/guest speakers, certificates of recognition).
- Awards-4:15 p.m.
- North Diagonal-4:30 p.m. (Load/transport completed shelters).
To make this project a success, we need financial support to help pay for tents, tools, food and drinks, overnight accomodations...and more!
Donation Requests for Student Meals
Help us feed students the day of the event. Breakfast, lunch, and beverages are needed!
*All donations are tax-deductible.
Staff contact: Terri Colbert, (360) 709-4623
|Gold Level - $7,500 +
||Display space for organization/company + Podium + Banner + Event Program + for the first 5 gold-level sponsors who commit by January 31, 2017 a logo display & name one the back of team t-shirts
|Silver Level - $5,000 - $7,499
||Podium + Banner + Event Program
|Bronze Level - $2,500 - $4,999
||Banner + Event Program
|Friend of CTE – $100 - $2,500
King 5 (article w/ video)
KIMA TV (article w/ video)
Snohomish County Tribune (article)
The Olympian (article w/ video)
Northwest Now (video)
Tacoma News Tribune (article)
Auburn Reporter (article)
Aberdeen Daily World (article)
Pierce County Skills Center (video)
Arlington School District (article)
A Bates Technical College student works on a shelter in preparation for the 2017 #CTE Showcase of Skills on March 27 in Olympia.
Work for the state? Make a contribution through Combined Fund Drive!
to: https://www.cfd.wa.gov/search and enter
"Showcase of Skills" into the Charity Name. The search provides donors
with information about the project and a link to make a donation.
Shelter Makes a Difference
Washington's Workforce Board is hosting this event in partnership with:
- Washington Building Trades
- Washington State Labor Council
- Association of Washington Business
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
- Construction Center of Excellence
- Pacific Northwest Center of Excellence for Clean Energy
- Skills USA
- Department of Labor and Industries, Apprenticeship
- Washington Association for Career Technical Education
- Department of Enterprise Services
- Low Income Housing Institute, Seattle
- Sawhorse Revolution