Workgroup process complete
The Workforce Board used work groups to develop the key elements of the High Skills, High Wages strategic plan. These work groups concentrated on three areas:
This work group focuses on workforce development issues concerning adults, and adults with barriers to education and employment. Workforce Board Members Karen Lee, commissioner of Employment Security Department and Lynnae Ruttledge, director of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, co-chair the workgroup. This work group met: March 28, 2008; April 2, 2008 and May 1, 2008.
Minutes for March 28, 2008
Adult Work Group Strategic Framework
This work group focuses on workforce development issues concerning youth in general and disadvantaged youth. Workforce Board Members co-chairing the Youth work group: Beth Thew with the Spokane Regional Labor Council and Creigh Agnew (director, Sterling Savings Bank, formerly vice-president of governmental relations at Weyerhaeuser Company). The youth work group met April 9 and 16.
Philadelphia After School System
Government Accountability Office: Disconnected Youth
Preparing Students for the Future
This work group focuses on industry-related issues including ways to meet the needs of employers for highly skilled workers, the development of industry cluster strategies,and find ways to better link workforce and economic development. Workforce Board Members co-chairing the Industry work group: Mike Hudson (Association of Washington Business) and Janet Lewis (IBEW Local 46 business representative).This group met March 24, April 15 and April 28.
Minutes for March 24, 2008
Meeting Agenda for April 28
Industry Draft Plan
All Meeting handouts
CTE: New Vision 2003
Developing High Skills, High Wages
CTE Bill 6377: Key Funding Areas
Department of Corrections GMAP
Department of Corrections Re-entry white paper
The Workforce Board used interactive televisions links to increase public participation in our strategic planning process. (NEWS RELEASE)
Forums were held in:
- Seattle, Aug. 26, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., South Seattle Community College.
- Tacoma, Aug. 26, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., interactive video conferencing of Seattle meeting at Tacoma Community College, Room 222
- Mount Vernon, Aug. 26, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., interactive video conferencing of Seattle meeting at Skagit Valley College, Norwood Cole Library Building/
- Vancouver, Aug. 11, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Clark College (Cannell Room of the Lewis D. Cannell Library)
- Bremerton, Aug. 11, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., interactive video conferencing of Vancouver meeting at Olympic College
- Olympia, Aug. 11, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., interactive video conferencing of Vancouver meeting at South Puget Sound Community College (Library Building 28-102),
- Spokane, July 22, 3-6 p.m. Spokane Falls Community College (Building 2, Room 206)
- Walla Walla, July 22, 3-6 p.m., interactive video conferencing of Spokane meeting at Walla Walla Community College.
- Wenatchee, July 23, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Wenatchee Valley College.
- Omak, July 23, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., interactive videoconferencing at Omak School District, Board Room,
- Moses Lake, July 23, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., interactive videoconferencing of Wenatchee meeting at Moses Lake School District.
- Yakima, July 24, 10 a.m. to noon, Yakima Valley Community College, Article on this meeting in Yakima Herald-Republic
- Pasco, July 24, 10 a.m. to noon, interactive videoconferencing of Yakima meeting at Columbia Basin College.