Home About Us Contact Us
Print Print Friendly

Starting a Private Career School in Washington

First steps
Before calling us, we recommend you review these requirements now so you’re ready to move forward.

What's next

After you review the requirements, you'll want to contact the Workforce Board at 360-709-4600. We may need you to complete a licensing determination questionnaire. Once that's done you'll need to participate in a new school orientation before applying to operate a private career school in Washington State, or to advertise your school in Washington. These call-in conference style orientations take place monthly, we will get  you the required materials and call-in information when you contact us.

Note: The application process takes an average of 60 days.

Before the orientation, we recommend you familiarize yourself with the private vocational school licensing statute and regulations. If you haven’t already, you will need to:

If you will be operating a limited partnership or corporation, register with the Secretary of State’s office. Finally, be sure to comply with any local ordinances governing businesses in the city or county where you plan to operate.

Is your vocational training program longer than 24 hours?
If you are a provider offering a vocational training program to the general public with a program length of more than 24 hours, for a fee, you may need to obtain a "Private Vocational School License" to comply with the State's Private Vocational School Act. Please contact our Consumer Protection Unit for more information, 360-709-4600.

Online application and required materials checklist
After you have completed these necessary first steps, you’ll be able to fill out an online application. Your user name and password will be assigned to you at your orientation meeting.

Back to main Private Career School page

Opening a school in Oregon?
Get info on state requirements.



Last Modified 11/20/2015   |   Contact Webmaster   |   Privacy Statement   |   Site Map   |   Employment   |   Access Washington   |   Register to Vote