Home About Us Contact Us
Print Print Friendly

Student Data Reporting Instructions 2012

Licensed Private Vocational Schools

Which students do I need to report on?
Report the data on students who were in attendance at any time (withdrew, graduated or were enrolled) during the year from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012.  Please include any students who started before July 1, 2011 and were still enrolled after July 1, 2011, even if you reported them last year. If you had students who were still enrolled as of June 30, 2012, leave the exit date blank and give them an enrollment status code of 3 or 4 (see Data Definitions and Codes).

Which students are exempt from reporting?

  • Do not include employed students whose tuition is paid by their employer.
  • Do not include students whose training is fully paid by the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, DSB, DDD or the Department of Labor and Industries.
  • If your organization is a private, non-profit that provides full scholarships for some students, do not report on those students whose tuition was fully paid by these scholarships.

Is your school located outside of Washington?
If your school is located outside Washington, report only on students who were Washington residents at the time they started your training program.

If you have no students to report, please contact Barbara Mix at bmix@wtb.wa.gov , 360-709-4611

Which training programs do I report on?
Please report on all programs listed on your Private Vocational School license. To review the programs you are currently authorized to offer under your license, you can use the online licensing system with your login id and password, or contact Darlene Bartlett at dbartlett@wtb.wa.gov , 360-709-4605.

What information is required to be reported?
For each student who was enrolled in, or graduated or withdrew from the program(s) during each reporting period, we need:

  • Program title*
  • Program duration (in months)
  • Type of award upon program completion (diploma or certificate)
  • Student name*
  • Social security number*
  • Address*
  • Phone number*
  • Date of birth*
  • Hispanic/Non-Hispanic*
  • Race*
  • Gender*
  • Disability status
  • Highest grade completed before enrolling*
  • Start of training date *
  • End of training date *
  • Enrollment status at end of reporting period*
  • GPA, if applicable

*Failure to report any of these required data elements may result in denial of your Workforce Board Private Vocational School license renewal.

What measures are taken by the Workforce Board to ensure data security?
All data reported to the Workforce Board is kept on removable hard disks that are locked into file drawers each night. All CD's and hard copy data is stored in locked drawers and destroyed when no longer needed. All Workforce Board data computers are password-protected. Access to individual data is limited to staff and contractors who have signed Confidentiality Statements in which they agree to follow strict data security procedures. Individual data reported to the Workforce Board is not considered public information, and is exempt from public disclosure laws.

Are social security numbers required to be reported? 
Licensed private vocational schools are required to ask students for social security numbers and report those social security numbers they receive to the Workforce Board.  A student has the right to choose not to provide their social security number.  Please inform students about why they are being asked to give out their social security number and what security measures will be taken with the information. If you have any questions or concerns about data security, please contact Karen Pyle at (360) 709-4634.

What if some of the data is not available? 
Please report whatever data you have collected, for the time period requested. If any of the requested student data is not available for one or more of your programs, please contact Barbara Mix at (360) 709-4611.

If a program is new and there are no students to report on, please return the data reporting form with a note of explanation or send an email to bmix@wtb.wa.gov.

How can I report the information?
Reporting forms can be downloaded in MS Excel format or as PDF files from www.wtb.wa.gov/PCS_AnnualReport.asp. Upon request, we can also mail a hard copy version--contact Barbara Mix at (360) 709-4611 or bmix@wtb.wa.gov. Forms can be filled out with Excel or similar spreadsheet, or by hand.Please save the final file using a password as an added security measure.

NOTE: Schools must use the codes specified in PVSA Annual Data Report Form Data Definitions and Codes.

How can the data be sent to the Workforce Board?

  • Option 1: Copy the file to a secure server at the Educational Data Service Center, using Internet Explorer to upload the file over the Internet. Click here for instructions.
  • Option 2: Hard copies can be mailed to Barbara Mix, Workforce Board, P.O. Box 43105, Olympia, WA 98504-3105.
  • Option 3: Hand deliver your data to our office at 128 10th Ave. S.W., 6th floor, Olympia, WA.

Please return the data report by 5 p.m. on November 2, 2012.

Please feel free to call or email Barbara Mix at (360) 709-4611or bmix@wtb.wa.gov with any questions or concerns you may have. We are happy to assist you in meeting the data reporting requirements.

Back to Annual Student Data Reporting page

Last Modified 11/20/2015   |   Contact Webmaster   |   Privacy Statement   |   Site Map   |   Employment   |   Access Washington   |   Register to Vote