In Fall of 2010 through 2011, the Workforce Board and its partners engaged in an initiative designed to identify opportunities and ideas that could be quickly implemented. Specifically, the Retooling Initiative set out to enhance the ability of Washington's workforce system to:
1) Find and assist those employers who are hiring (or would hire) if they could find the right people.
2) Deliver a quality pool of workers capable of meeting employers' needs,
3) To the greatest extent possible, draw from the ranks of the unemployed, particularly long-term unemployed, when filling these new job openings.
Three workgroups were formed to initiate and monitor activities.
1) Coordinated outreach to Long-term unemployed
2) On the Job Training
3) Coordinated employer outreach and Improving job referral/skills matching
History of Retooling Initiative